Bunker Hill Monument and Museum

42 Monument Square

The 221 foot granite obelisk marks the battle between British forces and colonial militia on June 17, 1775. Historian Michael O'Brian's book, the Irish at Bunker Hill, identifies 176 Irish-born colonists and hundreds of Irish-American soldiers who defended the hill during the siege. The Marquis de Lafayette helped lay the monument's cornerstone in 1825, and the monument was officially unveiled in 1843.

Across the street from the Monument is the new Bunker Hill Museum, run by the National Park Service. The museum includes an exhibit on Charlestown's illustrious Irish traditions.

neighborhood map neighborhood map
neighborhood map