Castle Island

William J. Day Boulevard

Castle Island's history dates to 1634, when settlers built a fort with mud walls. The British called it Fort William during the Siege of Boston in the 1770s, but once they left we called it Fort Independence.

Castle Island was connected to the mainland in the 1930s, and it is often called the Irish Riviera. In recent years an Irish Ceili is held each summer on a Sunday, attracting hundreds of dancers and musicians. A great place to walk, talk and watch the planes flying in and out of Logan, Fort Independence is a National Historic Landmark.

neighborhood map neighborhood map
neighborhood map